28.2.07

Magazine Wednesday

Doesn't have the same ring as Magazine Monday, but hey, we couldn't go a week without at least one magazine day. And this week we are focusing on the teen fashion market. As witnessed by the size of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's bank accounts, this is a MASSIVE market. And you better believe everyone from Anna Wintour's Vogue, to Cosmopolitan is cashing in on it...

This month's issue of CosmoGirl features Lauren Conrad. Lauren who? some of you may be asking. And I probably would be to, but my parents have cable TV at their place, so I've had far too many opportunities to watch shit TV that the world would be a better off without.

Laguna Beach
, otherwise known as 'the real O.C.' is a reality TV show, where a handful of rich kids, with the combined IQ's of my left knee, spend their days been filmed, as they mindlessly waste copious amounts of money shopping and sitting around their, strangely absent, parent's pools. And Lauren or 'L.C', as this bland chip is known was the queen bee of the first series. LC's storyline seemed to revolve, mainly, around her desire to get the most even tan while seducing the show's pin-up boy Steven- about as fascinating as watching my mum read the newspaper. But hey, well done for getting on a magazine cover, share your irrelevance with a wider audience. And it's always something to show your kids when they ask you what on earth you were ever famous for?


Not so sure why Vogue needs a teen version of it's magazine. I mean aren't most of the girls featured on the cover of regular Vogue teenagers anyway?

This month's cover features 'rising star' Kirsten Stewart. Again you may be having a 'who's she?' moment, but refreshingly Kirsten is actually famous for 'doing' something. I know, it's pretty crazy concept but Kirsten has amazingly achieved something in her 17-years on this planet.

Probably most familiar for her role as Jodie Foster's daughter in David Fincher's Panic Room, Kirsten also stared as a rape victim in the TV movie Speak. Apparently she had four lines, but was very good, so I shall say no more about the girl and let her get on with her career. That is of course unless she decides to star, feature, host, produce, direct or provide catering for a reality TV show and/or movie. I'll then be forced to have some serious words to the young miss.

What can I say about Mandy Moore? I actually have such a soft spot for the girl. I thought she was great in 'Entourage' and apparently she was awesome in that movie 'Saved'. And she seems rather smart for a young Hollywood actress, which is always something I don't expect, and therfore am impressed by.

However, I think I shall have to pull her up on this magazine cover. It's not that she looks bad or anything. In fact she looks wonderful. It's just I think she's kind of taking the piss, being on the cover of Seventeen. I mean the girls in her mid twenties! I know when she first jumped on to the scene with that terrible 'Candy' song, she was a young pup, but that was like 10 years ago. Time to move on Mandy. Twenty-two magazine is begging for you to be on it's cover.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, the girl from panic room sure has grown up. She was incredibly boyish in that movie, I watched that film with my Mum who didn't realise until the end that the character was Jodie's daughter and not her son.